Sunday, June 30, 2013

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card


I felt like I needed a bit of a change after the boredom of 'Creating a world without poverty' so I decided to read some fiction. 

Ender's game got some great reviews and I like a bit of Sci-Fi so I thought I would give it a shot. I think the audio book was 14 hours long which I hadn't really thought about before starting but I was happy with this by the time I got into it. 

Enders game is about a boy who has been bred to lead the world against invading aliens called "buggers" (they look like bugs). In fact the whole world has been breeding (I'm guessing through genetic engineering) to produce a leader, genius enough to do this. The only reason earth survived the previous invasion was because of such a genius. 

Ender turns out to be the cleverest person alive

The book is set in the future though I don't remember it saying when.  I expected there to be a big emphasis on new technologies like in most futuristic stories, this wasn't really the case.  One of the new things that you will notice is the language.  Kids talk in a kind of pidgin occasionally, it would be interesting to see if Scott Card has a connection to this language for some reason.



There are quite a few things that keep you guessing in this book and keep you really involved with characters. Including Ender;s evil brother (Peter), strict commanders, interesting sounding strategy games and some details that are left out that make you feel clever when you realize what really happened.  


Spoiler Alert-click to show
but only because I'd been thinking about it a lot between readings.  It really was very engrossing.  I listened to it on short car journeys and during breaks at my other job.  And as I said I thought about while not listening to it.  I think a big part is the humble heroship of Ender.  Unassuming perhaps a bit naive but genius.  

The best fiction book I've listened to so far ;)  Let's see if the movie that is meant to be coming out in November this year will live up to the book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment