Thursday, June 27, 2013

Creating a World Without Poverty - Muhammud Yunis


So as you will probably be able to tell I have an interest in business.  I also have an interest in how business can change peoples lives and even cultures.  This seemed like a good book (at least the title was in the right ballpark) to glean from.  

Muhammad Yunis was the creator of Gramin Bank and pioneer of micro lending.  This is basically a bank that loaned small loans mainly to women in Bangladesh so that they could start a small business and get out of the poverty that they were in.  Good start to the book.  

However, after a few hours of listening to Grameen this and Grameen that it got a bit tiring.  It turned out to be more of a 'look how good my company is' book rather than something I could learn from.  I looked into the company and noticed that there is quite a lot of controversy around this bank and accusations of them exploiting the poor.  Perhaps this book is trying win people's favor.  


Anyway, I dont recommend this book unless you have to write a paper on 'the pros of Grameen bank'

No comments:

Post a Comment